Tuesday 5 October 2010

Eggy Facts..

Living in North London has its downsides, but I prefer to live on the good side keeping and breeding chickens, in my back garden, who provide me with beautiful fresh eggs, and mucky boots, some call me eccentric, but my friends say I'm a real mother hen.
I'm starting this blog to record my chicken keeping, my creations, and my everyday encounters.






First before you meet the flock you need to know some Eggy Facts..


A hen does NOT need a rooster to lay an egg.
It takes a chicken approximately 24-26 hours to produce an egg, start to finish.
Yolk color depends on what the chicken is eating.  Chickens who are allowed free range and who are allowed to eat insects and plants will produce an egg with a much darker yolk (and better tasting, too!)
Fresh eggs can be stored in the refrigerator at least 3 weeks before you will notice a decline in quality.  The air cell in the egg will enlarge and eventually the egg will dry up on the inside.
When you hardboil an egg, don’t use a fresh (meaning real farm fresh, not supermarket fresh) egg.  Fresh eggs are extremely hard to peel!
An eggshell contains thousands of pores, mostly on the larger end.  This is to allow the exchange of carbon dioxide and moisture to occur for a baby chick.  (So the shell ‘breathes’)
A chicken egg takes 21 days to hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment